Thursday, November 24, 2011

Holiday hype or economic boon?

I'll sound like my parents, but Christmas is coming earlier every year. The amazing thing is that my kids are starting to notice and object to that, too. Yesterday (the day before Thanksgiving) one of my kids was hauling the holiday decorations down from the attic. I thought his complaint had to do with the labor, but it wasn't. He was unhappy that we had not even had our Thanksgiving meal yet and we were already looking planning for Christmas.

That got me thinking. As marketers and merchants push the holidays ever closer to summer, do we risk a backlash at some point? One of my astute kids pointed out that an ad on TV for a car manufacturer was reminding viewers that their winter sale was almost over - but that we have not yet even reached winter yet (by way of the calendar, anyway).

I know the economic rationale for pushing the products earlier - maybe people will shop a little longer and buy a little more if they see it in October. Maybe we can stretch the holiday shopping season by another couple of weeks and increase profits.

But at what point do we push that too far? I am not sure that we do, but the thought of year-round holiday sales events is a little weird.

I am interested in your thoughts and when you think we will have gone to far!

No comments:

Post a Comment